Are you a high school student interested in a law enforcement career?
Would you like to learn about what a career in law enforcement is like before you decide?
The American Legion, Department of Michigan in partnership with the Michigan State Police Training Academy in Lansing provides an opportunity for high school students in the 10th, 11th, and 12th grades to learn about a career in law enforcement.
Students spend one week at the Michigan State Police Training site learning many aspects of a law enforcement career.
- Proper gun safety while live-firing handguns under the supervision of the Michigan State Police firing range officers.
- Self-defense techniques
- The adrenaline rush of underwater rescue and recovery in the training center pool
- Crash site investigation
- First aid
- Police K-9 units and their incredible abilities
- Basic “CSI- Crime Scene Investigations”
- Intense physical training (Yes, you will run!)
- How to work as a team
How to apply for the Youth Cadet Law Enforcement program?
The 2018 class has been selected and is closed. Applications, dates and fees will be available in September 2018. To be notified of 2019 information use the form at the bottom of this page.
- Be in good health
- Be capable of strenuous exercise
- Handle strict discipline
- Have a minimum G.P.A. of 2.5 or higher
- Must not have juvenile or criminal record
- Be interest in criminal justice
All forms must be completely filled out.
Program fee for 2018 is $390 per student
Are sponsorships available?
Parents and students are encouraged to contact their local American Legion post to ask if they would sponsor them. Anyone can pay the $390 it does not have to come from an American Legion post.
An application submission does NOT guarantee admission to the program.
The MSP has limited space at their facility and admission is limited to 30-45 students depending on availability.
Determination of admission will be announced the first week of June. Admission is determined by the MSP trooper in charge and their decision is final.
Refunds are given back to the sponsors for students not selected to attend.
For questions email firstname.lastname@example.org
To be notified about a new class: